There are many students who have completed studying engineering and technical courses and are now looking out for a course that would be a blend of technical subjects and management related subjects. This course is for all such students who are interested in opting for a career in the same.
Engineering management is a program which is a specialization in management that is needed to successfully carry out engineering and technical projects.
A career in this field combines together technology, problem solving techniques, administrative activities and planning to monitor overall operational performance of complex engineering firms.
Duties of an Engineering Manager:
- Supervise and monitor technology, resource requirements, and customer demand, to plan check the feasibility of projects.
- Work on installation processes, testing, operations, maintenance and repair of system.
- Review and approve design of the product and also work on the changes required.
- Work on the recruitment process, delegate duties amongst the employees, evaluate their work
- Work on budget preparations, bids, and contracts and also prepare research related contracts
- Work on the development and implementation of policies, procedures, standards for various technical activities carried out in the department
Specialization in Engineering Management:
- Supply Chain Management/Project Management
- Operations Research
- Supply chain management/Project Management
- Supply chain management is a branch of engineering management that involves activities that requires planning, controlling and execution of a product’s flow.
- It includes acquiring raw materials, production to distribution which would be cost effective as well as streamlined.
- Logistics can be defined as the process that involves accumulation of raw material until final delivery of the product in the market.
- A formal definition given by author John J. Coyle says – Delivering the right product, to the right customer, in the right quantity, in the right condition, at the right place, at the right time and at the right cost.
- Logistic also has two tracks which are inbound logistics and outbound logistics.
- Operations Research
- Operations research is a specialized field under engineering management which can be defined a problem-solving method along with making decisions which would be beneficial to the management of the organization.
- It involves dividing the problems and breaking these into basic components which are later solved using steps defined as per the mathematical analysis.